After reading the article on dairy farming in Vermont (see immediately preceding blog post), I investigated a little more and came up with a wide variety of sometimes startling writing on the milk and milk products that we eat and drink. Thought I would share some of them with you.
- A piece on why all milk other than human milk is not good for humans.
- A warning from the US FDA and the CDC against drinking raw (ie, fresh, unpasteurised) milk.
- An essay on the virtues of breast milk which contains this remarkable observation :
It would take 135 million lactating cows just to substitute the breastmilk of the women of India; that many cows would require 43% of the surface of India be devoted to pasture.
- A disturbing article on how milk is marketed even though it is known that it is bad for health.
- Another disturbing article by an Indian origin author.
- An article on Mahatma Gandhi's views on milk.
- A dairy industry press release on the importance of milk in the diet provides significant contrast to the above writings, but consider possibility of conflict of interest!